Friday, August 21, 2015

Banner Project I: Why We Baste

No, not that kind.  Though it's equally important.
It's not particularly usual for me to come home from work & be ready to sew without a fair amount of dithering, futzing, yak-shaving and other avoidance; so to have had that situation, work steadily for two hours (with a break for delicious caldo verde brought to me on the couch by my loving and nurturing sweetie), only to have to unpick everything that I did, is particularly galling.

As is often the case, this lamentable state of affairs is nobody's fault but mine.  I have been slowly growing a visceral understanding of how important (and how much easier it makes your life) to baste when you are making clothing; and I knew that it's critical to have pieces on a banner lie flat, or it will be stupidly obvious; and I even knew that the materials + technique I was working with were not forgiving in this category.  But I was worried about time, and I thought "oh, if I get it all flat on the ironing board and pin carefully it will be fine".

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA no.


It is, I am coming to believe, axiomatic that any time I cut a corner to save myself time or trouble, I am in fact shooting myself in the foot and will end up worse off than had I just done it properly in the first place.  Indeed, in this case I am particularly desirous to smack Past Me upside the head because, after unpicking the work, re-flattening it, and pinning it again, it took me less than ten minutes to baste it down.  And lo! everything lies flat as I attach it!  Quelle surprise!  :-/

Lesson learned.  Back to production.  

Anyways, it's probably a judgment on me for watching Starship Troopers while sewing.


"Recruit-Trainee Rico, you are sentenced to ten lashes for being a damfool.  Everyone else, beefcake for dinner tonight." 

2 comments:

  1. I submit that you need to remove the label "fail" as long as it was a learning experience. And, yeah, been there, done that. (Wandering off to baste something I was going to "wing")....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried hand sewing instead of very carefully pinning a heel piece into a pair of support socks that I was making. That didn't really work. But the worst unpicking I've been doing is trying to take all of the stretch stitches (which on the machine I have are _really_ hard to get out) on some bras I made. If you had asked me if it would be a smart idea to see if something works before putting the change into the production run, I would have said "yes". Sadly, I still made three bras with the untested changes. *sigh* It is going to take me a while to fix this. -- Felicia

    ReplyDelete