Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Banner Project I: Actual Production Begins


I HELPZ MOTIVATE

It was something of an uphill battle to get motivated to work last night; partially because it's hot, sticky, and disagreeable in NYC right now, but also because I tend to block hard when it's time to actually kick off production.  However, after several rounds of yak-shaving in order to get the entertainment of choice on the magic picture box, I slowly set into motion.

I measured out the desired real estate of the ground fabric (which is 3' by 4'), turned the remaining vertical amount over to make the top pole loop, and pinned it down.  Then I cut the gold brocade for the bend, placed & spaced it on the ground fabric, and pinned that down, which is not minor work when you are dealing with velvet; wrinkles and puckers become super-obvious, super-fast.  The next stage was to lay the cord that would both decoratively border the brocade, and also in its attachment attach said brocade to the ground fabric.
One of these things is not like the other.

Whereupon I realized that a cord that seems very heavy and ornate on a small embroidery motif is microscopic at banner scale.

Resolutely determined not to panic, I dug around in the Box O' Trim and came across a thick twisted cord of gold, blue, and black; and, mirabile dictu, there was enough of it to do both sides of the brocade strip.  So let it be done!

...Not that it got done; I'm not the fastest worker ever, and I have to go even more slowly than is my wont to make sure that everything is lying flat and tidy-like; this task is probably at about 15% completion.  But, as the saying goes, "well begun is half done"--and I will be able to just pick it up and work without being covered in bees.

At least, until I have to start cutting out the daisies.

No comments:

Post a Comment