Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Is That A Milestone Whooshing By, Or A Deadline?

Gentlemen, behold!  PANTS!
Well, both, really.

I completed one milestone this week--the trousers are finished!  (The photo is from Monday, when the construction was completed; last night I did the finish-y bits--hemming, attaching the suspenders, etc.)  Of course I only see the errors and the places where I didn't quite Get It, but the customer reports that they are comfortable and trouser-like.  I shall count that as "essential requirements met".

However, looking at Ye Project Plan, I find that there were a whole bunch of tasks I should have completed by now, and I'm feeling a little hinky about it.  The good news is, this weekend I shall have the advantage of tapping some sweatshop help, but I need to get enough done beforehand so that there's work that I can farm out.   I'm at the point of praying that the fridge repair guy will come tomorrow or Friday so I'll be forced to take a personal day. 

Anyone got a scarlet sash
I can borrow, while we're
at it?  I AM NOT LEARNING
$*@& SPRANG FOR THIS
Tonight's task is to cut out & assemble the muslin of the dress bodice, which I will take out to Kasia, Princess of Draping, tomorrow night for a fit check (I know dam' well it'll have to be shortened, at the very least) and confirm the bone lengths I need for it.  Yes, the dress is boned even though it's worn over a boned corset; those wacky Victorians, man.  I'd also like to get the uniform coat pieces cut out so I can have more portability for the weekend's work. 

Again, the actual construction of the coat and the dress both aren't particularly complicated, as these things go (the more so since I spent a little time redacting & simplifying the coat pattern--it is very meticulous in its historical accuracy but ain't no one got time for that now and by Crom we will machine-work the shit out of this).  It's more that there are some tasks which are inflexibly slow, like 22 buttonholes on the coat, or 144" of cartridge pleating on the skirt.  (And the less said about the uniform trim, the better *sob*.)  If I can apply Mongolian Hordes Technique to those portions, I'll be in good position to do the rest of the work over the upcoming week.

Still gonna be some late nights, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment