Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blogging? Ain't Nobody Got Time For That

Suffice to say that I've been working my tail off, in spite of ridiculous setbacks (self-inflicted and otherwise) (really, sewing machine belt?  This is a good time to break?).  With 48 hours to go, the tasks remaining are:

  • For gown:
    • Baste decorative bias strips to the bodice (see picture below) (this is called a "bertha", don't ask me why)
    • Sew sleeves into bodice
    • Cartridge-pleat skirt (who has two thumbs and a case of severe avoidance?  THAT'S RIGHT)
    • Sew skirt to waistband
    • Put hook-and-eye (or something) to fasten waistband
    • Make eyelets on the right half of bodice center back
    • Hem the skirt, or else line the bottom foot or so with appropriate stiffened fabric
  • For uniform:
    • Make up tiny mind where the coatee hem will be, and cut & sew it closed
    • Add two rows of decorative button to front
    • Add decorative braid in back
    • Shorten cuffs slightly
    • Add a metric fuckton of decorative braid to front.  (This is probably not going to happen, alas, because it is an all-or-nothing job.)
    • Fringe the ends of the sash (which task is being delegated to our passenger on the drive up, ahem)

I'd also like to find some lace elbow gloves but the Town Shop failed me and I don't have time to fuck around hunting through bridal stores, so.

The main decision tree right now is, what tasks have to be/are more easily done at home; which could be done in the car (NB: I invariably get carsick if I try to sew in the car), and which could be done in the ~24 hours between arriving at the wedding location and the actual wedding...


Uniform coatee, constructed (but not yet
ornamented or en-buttoned).

The bodice, functionally complete, with
decorative bias strips laid out


1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear... I think I would be curled up under a desk or vomiting from stress at this point. I wish you a ton of luck and helpful extra hands for getting this done!

    ReplyDelete