Monday, September 25, 2017

Get Your Glad Rags On

SHINY!

It's funny, I've made rather a lot of clothes for myself over the years, but the only fancy frocks have been late-period Italianate stuff--the quattrocento PURPLE!~ gamurra I made for Kamilla's Laureling, and the bronze-and-green Bronzino-ish sixteenth-century job I made for Kasia's Laureling.  I don't actually have anything north of really nice wool in my own chosen time period.  It is really time to correct that.

As previously noted, I have some heavenly blue silk for the underdress, and some cream-and-gold silk brocade for the overdress (which has just arrived safely, after hurricane delays[1]).  The pattern I used for my new pink linen dress this summer is close enough for jazz, and I can get help tweaking it further this weekend.  However!  I want to actually plan this out for a change, instead of just plowing forward, getting halfway through, and going "...oooer hadn't thought of that, herp derp".

Some topics currently in my thoughts:

  • Will I ever want to wear the blue dress by itself, i.e. without the (or an) overgown? 
    • this informs its closures and, potentially, ornamentation
    • presently thinking: no
  • Elbow or full sleeves for the overgown?
    • presently thinking: elbow, so one can see the blue underneath
  • Embellishments for the overgown?
    • pearls, gems, etc.  There's some evidence for that which we saw in the Opus Anglicanum exhibit, though that might have been associated with the embroideries, not underlying brocade patterns?
    • presently thinking: research it more
  • How to close the overgown?  Lacing, fabric buttons, metal buttons?
    • presently thinking: buttons, inclining towards fabric
      • ugh ugh ugh
  • Line both, neither, or either dress?
    • To be 100% accurate, the overgown and probably the underdress too would be fur-lined.  Not doin' that.
    • presently thinking: neither.  That much silk is going to be sweltering enough as it is, thanks.
  • How much matching up of the brocade do I need to do?
    • presently thinking: across center front and center back; and keep directionality on the gores; everything else is probably gravy
  • Tippets, Y/N?
    • presently thinking: research it more
  • Include machine stitching or do it all by hand?   *record scratch*
    • oooeee.  This enters the misty land of "done" vs "best".  I have clear delineations in other projects--if I'm making something for display, I'll hand-sew it all; if I just need basic clothes to cover one's fleshy bits, I'm fine to machine-stitch where possible--but this is neither the one nor the other. 
    • presently thinking: do it by hand.  But this could change if I suddenly grow a deadline.
And then there's the general need to up my accessories game: hair, veil, possibly belt, etc.  (Though I'm suddenly feeling that in a lot of images of super-fancy ladies, they aren't wearing belts?  Let's check that.)  And oh god my purse needs replacing, my current one being a "temporary kludge" enacted over ten years ago. 


I haven't lost sight of my main objective, i.e. getting the pourpoint out the door; indeed the left sleeve is now attached and has all its buttons, as well as a whole! three! buttonholes! *sob*; but I can work in parallel, and if I don't get moving on this now it'll never happen.


[1] Please donate if you can:
Hispanic Federation for Puerto Rico's recovery from Hurricane Maria

Global Giving's fund for Texas's recovery from Hurricane Harvey



No comments:

Post a Comment