Sunday, April 24, 2016

More Odds & Ends

there's that job jobbed
The first thing I did with the aforementioned free will was to finish, believe it or not, another daisy.  There's a comedic backstory to this (which, to anyone who knows our atelier, is 100% par for the course), but long story short, the Actual Laurel Cloak™ hasn't been done yet (the candidate was robed with a substitute cape-let [that we stayed up all night making {and was still pretty stylin', I must say}]).  It will still happen, and it will still have lots of people's embroidered daisies on it, and mine had been hanging about since August, so I finally got off my arse and finished it.  ONE. MORE. CHECKBOX!

I'd done about 1/3 of the petals in the previous push (see previous post for context re: what I was trying to accomplish), which took me maybe 6 hours in total..whereas it took me somewhat less than that to do the entire rest of the motif, so I think we may safely say that Learning Has Occurred.  There's clearly a lot of room for improvement, technique-wise; when I look at the stitches closely, I am bothered by their unevenness, and I'd like the shading to be more graceful; but I feel it's not bad for a first attempt.  I certainly do understand now why they recommend you actually color in the design with colored pencils before stitching, though.

Once the petals were done, I just did the stem in stem stitch (duh), and the center as well.  Mostly because I was kind of on a roll with it, but also I wanted to experiment with using it as a filling stitch.  I'm not sure about the two colors of yellow--I had a vague thought it would give a kind of textured effect, which I don't think it did exactly, but it's a little more visually interesting than plain yellow all the way in?  Maybe?  Or maybe the spiraling pattern of the stitch would've been enough.  It's not bad, I just don't know if it would have been better.

I'm in a wait state on the possible commission, so I backgrounded that process and spent some cycles on what classes to teach at Pennsic.  I figured to do the hands-on tablet weaving class (mem: buy C-clamps), but I wasn't sure what else; I've taught the class on  linings (or not) in Gothic fitted dresses for the past three years running and maybe I should give it a break, and the pouch class is all well and good but it doesn't have a lot of practical application for most people.  It occurred to me that it might be useful to put something together on working-class Elizabethan clothes for Pennsic (I have a possible title: "No, I'm Not Putting The Tent Up In A Farthingale"), since that's a topic I'm currently struggling with.  It means I have to spend the next couple months making working-class Elizabethan clothes, for myself as well as my dashing consort.  I questioned whether this would be useful in a world where we have resources like The Modern Maker and The Tudor Tailor and Stuart Peachey's series and Drea Leed's site, but the feedback from my Facebook Greek Chorus was overwhelmingly positive.  I do feel a little bit hinky teaching other people's stuff (even with complete transparency and citation), but it was pointed out to me that a lot of fellow-travelers a) don't know or have access to these sources, and b) don't have time or capacity to trawl through it all to get actionable information, so a well-done distillation (especially including the results of field testing) would be valuable to that population.  So, all righty then.

No comments:

Post a Comment