Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Knitting And Unexpected Psychological Whuts

Currently knitting: Three Irish Girls' "Keep On Walking In The Free World",
main yarn colorway "Harvest Moon", secondary yarn colorway "Heart of Gold"
Edited to add: this is not yet what my sock looks like

I had previously expressed my intention to do nothing more complicated than sock knitting for the month of November, but I am already feeling the faint stirrings of You Should Really Be Doing Something Real.  This is an interesting peek into the murky depths of my subconscious, because what, pray tell, isn't real about having a pair of colorful warm wool socks for when winter finally decides to show up?  

Apparently, there is that within me which does not countenance the making of objects unless they are a) historical re-creations or b) for someone else.  



So I figure as how I have a few issues to work through right there.   While that's processing, I'm going to double down on my intention to finish these socks first, and not permit myself to go chase some other shiny.  I'm not a great judge of my knitting production speed yet, but I think I should be able to finish them before the month is out (kneesocks though they are).

Once that's done, or at least once I have a comfortable enough rhythm established that I'm OK with alternating work, there comes the dicey task of choosing what to do next.

  • I have a big ol' list of mending for our medieval* clothes.
  • I have a similarly big ol' list of medieval clothes projects I'd like to begin.
  • I have yet another big ol' list of medieval household goods I wanted to make.
  • And I have a big ol' Ravelry queue of knitting projects.
  • Then there's the embroidery project ideas.
  • Oh, and one of my avoidance moments while working on The 19th Century Project was that I suddenly had some inspirations for making modern clothes.
I need to find a way to prioritize my initiatives, and be OK with that prioritization, or I'm going to end up chasing my tail and/or in a meeping pile under the blankets.

* disclaimer: any use of "medieval" in this blog can, unless specified otherwise, be assumed to include any of that weird-ass science fiction stuff that happens after Anno Domini 1410.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know that feeling of how tough it is to prioritize. My two cents is that mending allows you to add clothes back into your wardrobe pretty quickly, so I get a lot of satisfaction when something that has been sitting in the "to fix" pile for two years is back in my closet without a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I was thinking is that I'll do mending during the weekly evening stitch-and-bitch, because it doesn't require concentration and I can be social during it, and I'll reserve another time slot for New Projects where I have to be alone to make strange muttering noises.

      Delete
  2. Use the power of dissociation to make beautiful socks for your good friend Vika. She works hard and deserves something nice for her efforts.

    ReplyDelete