Sunday, July 24, 2016

Forward Momentum

On, Teb! On!

As usual, the last couple of weeks before Pennsic pass in a frantic and occasionally gibbering haze; though this year I had the interesting experience of whiplashing between "oh, this is fine, really there isn't that much to do" and "AAAAAAAA I AM DOOMED".  Part of this was a classic own-goal; I spontaneously decided I had plenty of time to rig up a new dress for myself, namely a 1580s petticoat (something I have never made before, let me be clear) and got Beth to fit the bodice for me last Sunday.  

To be fair, I have the construction skills to do this, absolutely.  It's really the same technology as both my gamurra and my Florentine silk dress; it is not rocket science, or at least, the science all happens in the fitting/patterning.  And, a good chunk of it can be done by machine if I can get to that point before we leave.  However!  It's still a time investment and time is something that's in short supply.  Great thinking, Past Me.

Fortunately I got a good way down my checklist before that point.  My dashing consort has another linen Bocksten tunic and a pair of generic linen trousers (which I still experienced a few challenges with, ahem.  Let us just say that they are fashionably low-rise).  I re-did the lining of the Big Muckin' Banner and the pole loop is complete; there's still an issue with pull, which I'm advised is because I recut an old skirt to serve as the lining--a very period thing to do, yes, but it's on the bias which is doing Weird Things; I hope to finagle this with a lot of steam iron. (I may have to give up on the fringe trim, though.)  I have sourced ethically-obtained English magpie feathers to trim the Wee Flat Cap with, and a dozen tiny C-clamps for my tablet weaving class.  We have made approximately 11 lbs. of curries/stews and six dozen hand pies, which are vacuum-sealed and frozen for transport.  And, I have done most of the Land Agent/camp layout fooferaw.  

Drop-dead obligations remaining:
My brain when I think about
my class handout

  • assemble kits for tablet-weaving class (2 hours?)
  • make up muslin of pourpoint (2 hours?)
  • twiddle the banner's documentation (half-hour maybe)
  • write documentation for the flat cap (2-3 hours)
  • write the handout for the working-clothes class (AAAAAAA)

Would Like To Get Done Please Thank You:
  • The New Petticoat, which consists of--
    • pad-stitching the front bodice pieces (...six hours at current rates of work? reducible if I stop watching distracting movies)
    • assemble the bodice fashion fabric (~1 hour by machine)
    • assemble the bodice lining (~1 hour by machine)
    • attach lining to fashion fabric (μ) (depends on whether I bind it or just sew it) 
    • assemble the skirt (~1.5 hours by machine)
    • pleat the skirt (gah, I'm not good at pleating.  2-3 hours? And needs the iron.)
    • attach skirt to bodice (2 hours?)
    • eyelets (infinite handwork)
    • hem (infinite handwork)
  • Turn the hemmed piece of linen that was too small for an apron into a partlet
  • Make a couple more lacing cords
  • Fix at least one of the pairs of Venetians of Sorrow
  • Get a lacing strip into at least one of the jerkins
...I think there might be some compromises made.




1 comment: