Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Summer Is Icumen In, Lhude Sing Goddam





I began this post in an aura of some dissatisfaction and agitas about the length of my Gantt chart.  And yet!  In spite of spending the long (extra-long for me, since I took Friday off) holiday weekend at the shore and doing Sweet Fanny Adams on the sewing front, I've managed to:

  • cut out, assemble, refit (ahem), and finish the first Bocksten tunic for S.
  • hem the last three (yeah, there were two before) Queen's Favors
  • redo the gather stitches on the Wee Flat Cap, and frob the hatband & brim a little bit to see if I can fix it without cutting out whole new pieces
  • buy a stack of nice-lookin' linen for more tunics, a pair of pants, and also for the test run of Commission: Pourpoint
I also shopped for fringe trim for the Big Muckin' Banner, only to find that even the chintzy stuff is exceedingly dear, particularly at the quantities I'd need--

--and then, in the MIDDLE OF TYPING THIS POST, I realized that it was priced per yard (as trim usually is) and I was thinking in feet.  Four-and-a-half units costs rather less than 14 units.  To put it mildly.


So that happened.  I guess I'll be making another trip down to Daytona.

ANYWAYS

I'm feeling the pressure not just from the list of sewing tasks, but also because the heat is turned up all over.  My Land Agent/Slumlord rôle is about to click over from "occasional tasks" to "DO EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW"; work is becoming busy in a way that consumes rather a lot more of my brain-spoons; and the usual run of pre-Pennsic personal admin (packing lists, arranging cat care, making & vacuum-sealing a ton of pies, etc.) needs done as well.  Oh yes, and I still have to write my class handout.  And I should call my mom.  (Hi, Mom!)  Also it is now more than 90 of your Earth degrees and looks to stay that way for awhile; an environment I'm not at my best in, to put it mildly.

It's okay.  It's like this every year.  "The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster...strangely enough, it all turns out well."

How?





No comments:

Post a Comment